A Voice for Our Community
I am a Solvang resident and business owner running for City Council for 2020. I am advocating for residents, local businesses, public engagement, & transparency.
When people ask me where I’m from, I always describe myself as a Mexican girl in a Danish town in California. I was born in Aguascalientes City in Mexico and moved to Carpinteria, California with my family in 2002, after my father got hired as an assistant trainer in the American Quarter Horse Association. I graduated from Carpinteria High School in 2006. Moving from a city where our family had lived for generations into a California Central Coast town showed me the value of diversity in our rich society. I have always been inspired and impressed by people who come from all walks of life to be part of our beautiful state.
Throughout High School and College, I focused on training as a dancer and theater artist working on various community college theater events and arts festivals. I also became passionate about costuming after getting my first job at the legendary Victorian Vogue & the Costume Shop. My involvement in community arts inspired me to bring talent and community engagement by founding the Solvang Faeriefest; a faerie folklore themed festival that connects youth and families with art enthusiasts and guest talent. The festival started with 400 attendees in 2011 to over 2000 participants in 2017. By focusing on artistic pursuits and becoming involved in these events, I have learned how it can improve our lives and community as a whole.
I worked with my family to establish Solvang Trolley & Carriage Co. in 2007 and Solvang Trolley Ice Cream Parlor in 2010 where I started out as a tour guide, and learned business management through experience and self-study. Through Solvang Trolley, I worked with my family to preserve a living piece of history that continues the horse-drawn, fully-guided tours of the Danish Village, a tradition started by H.H,H. Rasmussen in 1973, on “The Honen”, which is the original Danish Street Car commissioned in 1965. We have entertained hundreds of thousands of Solvang visitors, created entry jobs for local youth, and donated our services for Julefest, parades, and many special events.
In 2014 I began a career as a trained chef, when my family re-opened The Little Mermaid Restaurant. After we sold the restaurant in 2018, I worked for ACME hospitality as a line cook at Loquita Santa Barbara, where I worked alongside chefs that have worked for Michelin-starred restaurants. Since then, I have cooked professionally for various restaurants and special events.
Why I’m running
As a teenager, I fell in love with Solvang and it’s beautiful architecture, its festive character, one-of-a-kind shops and restaurants, and historical sites. As an adult, I am thrilled to be a part of the Danish Capital of America, and to call Solvang my home. I am honored to have a chance along with my family to preserve a living piece of history. Being part of our Solvang Business community, I understand that our visitors are attracted to our historical legacy, the charm of our architecture, and the uniqueness of our shops. As a resident, I appreciate our sense of community, the proximity to nature, and the connection to ranching and farming. In today’s economic climate, it is of utmost importance for public officials to connect and work with local businesses, residents, and organizations to support one another and thrive as a city.
I am confident that my experience as a community member and business owner gives me a great understanding of what Solvang needs from a member of its City Council: an official that is willing to listen to the public, learn from history and experts, and collaborate with its residents, staff, and organizations to nurture a vibrant economy and productive way of life. People from all over the world visit Solvang because of its small town feel. While chain stores take over newly-developed shopping complexes all over that displace old town communities and small businesses, Solvang still gives original ideas and small businesses a chance to shine. As a small city in a rural area, we haven’t lost touch with agriculture as the basis of our culture. We do not need to invite big developers to redefine what Solvang is. We can work as a community to show the world we are proud of what Solvang is.
I invite you to vote for me this November, and to give me a chance to be Your Voice and Your Advocate. I am thankful to our community to give me and my family a chance to thrive, and it would be the biggest honor to be able to give back by serving on the Solvang City Council.
Education & Training:
Carpinteria High School. Class of 2006
- Warrior Band & Colorguard
- Junior Statesmen of America
- Alumna, State Street Ballet Young Dancers
American Dance & Music
- Alumna, Ballet Santa Barbara Summer Intensive
Santa Barbara City College
- SBCC Theater Group
- Arts & Humanities
- Liberal Arts
- 2005- Victorian Vogue & the Costume Shop – Sales
- 2007- Present Solvang Trolley & Carriage Co – Tour coordinator, costuming
- 2010- Present Solvang Trolley Ice Cream Parlor – Floor operations
- 2011- 2017 Solvang Faeriefest – Producer/promoter
- 2014- 2018 Little Mermaid Restaurant – Kitchen Management/ Hospitality Mgnt.
- 2018-2019 Acme hospitality – Line cook/culinarian
- 2006- Arts for Humanity – Theater collaboration with Challenged artists
- 2006- 2018 Summer Solstice Parade – Artist-in-residence, Costuming
- 2011-2013 Lucidity Festival – Collaborator with art installations & theater productions
- 2019- American Dance & Music – Catering for fundraising event
- 2007- Present Solvang Trolley & Carriage Co. – Coordinated tours & media appearances for State visits, parades, special events, Solvang Senior Center, Danish Days Foundation, & national and foreign broadcasts.
- 2019- Black Rock City Fire dept- Designed and executed menus and catering for volunteers and first respondents for the Burning Man Festival
- 2018-2019 Casa de la Raza- Face-painting for the Dia de los Muertos Celebration
- 2010- 2013 Sexy Sandwich Productions- Collaborated as a theater artist.